Reproductive Justice and New Jersey

This blog will focus on reproductive justice issues in the state of New Jersey, and beyond. The term reproductive justice was coined by women of color, specifically the amazing women from SisterSong. The term is meant to be an expansion of the reproductive rights paradigm which focuses on the issues of birth control and abortion rights.
Reproductive Justice uses the experiences of women of color as the point of entry to discuss issues of reproductive rights and health. This shift in center more clearly puts into focus the ways that the interrelated systems of race, class, gender, and sexual orientation work to limit women's ability to gain and maintain control of their reproductive lives.
The reproductive justice framework facilitates a more nuanced discussion of issues such as access to abortion, health care, birthing, the right to reproductive health, eugenics, population control, and the many reproductive technologies that exist. I have great respect for the women who claimed the term Reproductive Justice and use it with care, especially as a white woman who has worked hard to understand the ways white privilege has affected her life and choices.

I look forward to an open dialogue about important issues in our community, and welcome comments both critical and affirming.


Saturday, March 26, 2011

Goodbye Dear Followers

Hello my loyal RJ NJ Supporters... (All seven of you!).

I am writing because I will no longer be maintaining this blog.  I thought picking a focused topic for a blog would  give me a forum to write about a subject I am extremely passionat about, and like a thesis or dissertation, that the more focused the topic, the better the writing and content.  This may be true for my academic and social justice projects ... but right now, I just can't seem to stay focused enough on reproductive justice to write a good blog about it.  I feel too responsible to make sure that every piece of writing is meticulously researched and written, and frankly, lately I have been so busy fighting crazy legislation, I haven't had the energy. Yet, I have now, more than ever, wanted to write - and have much to say.

I will be writing a new blog, Femusings, and you are all welcome to follow me there.  This blog will be more personal, with many more musings, all of a feminist variety. I will tackle issues of economic justice, feminism, reproductive justice, and immigrant rights.  I will feel permission to rant, and to make drastic, perhaps unproven leaps in an effort to tease out my ideas so I can research them fully--later. I will also allow you, dear reader, to get to know me a bit better (how lucky for you, and narcissistic of me!). I will write about my challenges with finding and accepting love, my silly and not so silly insecurities, and my personal dilemmas with living in the real world as a feminist. I will idealy also be able to share with you my lighter, funnier, less political self.

I hope you will join me on this new journey, see you on the other side of RJNJ --- Femusings!

http://femusings2.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, I have just been looking for information approximately this topic for
    a while and yours is the greatest I have found out so far.
    But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you
    certain about the source?

    my blog post - official source

    ReplyDelete